Bikram Yoga Amsterdam: Going "Dutch!"

Yesterday, before I left Amsterdam, I was able to squeeze in a Bikram yoga class in Amsterdam.



And it was a little different than I had expected it to be...

See, even though Bikram yoga has "universal" elements, things cans still be different between studios. Yesterday, these were the differences I experienced:
  • The studio was much cooler than I am used to. Three days before, I had practiced in a studio that was 114 degrees Fahrenheit BEFORE class started. The Amsterdam studio felt about 100 to 105 degrees.
  • They discourage you from drinking water in class. They really don't want anything to disturb the "flow of energy" in the room. And drinking water can be disruprtive, if you're not disciplined in how you drink.
  • When they do Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Paschimottanasana, Trikanasana and Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Janushirasana, they ask you to turn sideways on your mat. I actually have done this at other yoga studios, and I think the one I practice at is one of the few that doesn't do it. But I prefer it that way. You actually have to use your leg muscles when you do these poses, just to keep yourself from sliding.
  • When they do Sasangasana, they don't use a towel around their feet for gripping. In fact, in the second set of this pose, the teacher specifically requested that I not use it.
The only other major difference between the two studios is that the first set of each pose was instructed in Dutch. The second set would be instructed in English. It was very cool. As was the studio itself.

It was very easy to find, and it was just gorgeous. Slate tiles in the lobby... Huge women's locker room... Large windows in the practice room...

No coconut water though. But it was a really good practice! Just a lot cooler than I am used to.

Comments

thedancingj said…
Booo to turning sideways! Boooo to rabbit without towel! Otherwise sounds lovely. That is so cool that you got to practice internationally!! I have never done that yet...

Oh P.S. I am writing in a blog at the moment (!!) and I have just now figured out how to link to other people's blogs, so I have linked to yours. :)
Me said…
I've done BY studios in Melbourne and Amsterdam internationally now. I am hoping to practice in Paris (Marais district) tomorrow morning at 7am.

Let me know your blog address... I will link to yours too! Is it going to be a "thedancingj" site?
dontbeafraidtogrip said…
booo to towel in rabbit????? the only reason for a towel in rabbit is 1) you are a total beginner and don't understand the need for a grip 2) one is too fat to grab their heals

the towel for rabbit is a crutch, and is not necessary.

Popular Posts